Sir Jack Lewis, Baron Lewis of Newnham, FRS - Curriculum vitae#


Obituary, University of Cambridge

Sir Jack Lewis was educated at Barrow Grammar School and graduated in 1949 with a bachelor's degree in chemistry from the University of London. He then went to the University of Nottingham where he obtained his Ph.D. In 1953 he was appointed lecturer at the University of Sheffield before returning to London 1956 as a lecturer at Imperial College London. From 1961 to 1967 he was Professor of Chemistry at the University of Manchester and from 1967 to 1970 at the University College London. He joined the University of Cambridge in 1970.

Lord Lewis of Newnham was the first Warden of Robinson College and oversaw the construction of the main College buildings in addition to establishing the academic and social structure of Robinson. He remains a Fellow of the College following his retirement. To mark his retirement as Warden, Robinson established the Lewis Research Scholarship Fund.

He was knighted in 1982 and created Baron Lewis of Newnham, of Newnham in the County of Cambridgeshire, in 1989. 1985 he was awarded the Royal Society's Davy Medal and received the Royal Medal from the Royal Society in 2004.

He is a member of the House of Lords, where he sits as a cross bencher and is a member of a number of Select Committees on Science and Technology.

Imprint Privacy policy « This page (revision-7) was last updated on Thursday, 2. February 2017, 12:33 by Kaiser Dana
  • operated by