|Email:||leopoldina.fortunati 'at' uniud.it|
|Main Country of Residence:||ITALY|
|Section:||FILM, MEDIA & VISUAL STUDIES|
Present and Previous Positions
- Professor of Sociology of Communication and Culture, University of Udine
- Director of the Research Laboratory for the New Media, NuMe (nume.uniud.it)
- 2012-2016 Director of the PhD Programma in Multimedia Communication
- In 2010 appointed by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Udine as her representative for academic relations with China and countries of South East Asia.
- From 2009 to 2011 Chair of the Degree Course in Multimedia Sciences and Technologies.
- 2005 - Associate professor in Sociology of Culture and Communication at the Faculty of Education of the University of Udine.
- 2002 - Researcher at the Faculty of Education of the University of Udine.
- 1994 - 2002 Adjunct Professor at the University of Trieste, Udine and Venice.
Fields of Scholarship
- Gender studies
- Cultural processes
- Communication and information technologies
- Mobile media
- Social robotics
- Mass communication
- Journalism studies
Honours and Awards
- 2001 - Outstanding Research Award from Rutgers University
- From 2002 until 2014, Italian representative in the Technical Committee of Social Sciences and then in the COST Domain Committee (ISCH, Individuals, Societies, Cultures and Health)
- Co-chair of the International Association "The Society for the Social Study of Mobile Communication" (SSSMC)
- Over the past 10 years, Italian representative in 5 COST Actions: 1) COST 248 "The Future European Telecommunications User"; 2) COST 269 "User Aspects of ICTs" (I was the vice-chairperson); 3) COST A20 "The Impact of Internet on the Mass Media in Europe"; 4) COST 298 “Participation in the Broadband Society” (I was the chair of a working group); COST FP 1104 “New Possibilities for Print Media and Packaging- combining digital with print” (this is currently running)
- Rapporteur and chair of the evaluation committee of the COST Action A17 “Small and medium enterprises, economic development and regional convergence in Europe”; COST A30, entitled ‘East of West: Setting a New Central and Eastern Media Research Agenda”; of COST IS0901 “Women Writers in History: Toward a New Understanding of European Literary Culture” and of COST IS0906 “Transforming Audiences, Transforming Societies”
- Associate editor of the journal The Information Society
- For 15 years , in the advisory board of the journal New Media and Society
- In the Advisory Board of the journals European Journal of Futures Research and Mobile media and communication
- Since 2013, co-editor with Richard Ling and Gerard Goggin of the series Studies in Mobile Communication at the Oxford University Press.
- Since 2009, first editor of a peer-review series “Participation in the Broadband Society” (Peter Lang, Berlin)