|Email:||emilio.carbone 'at' unito.it|
|Main Country of Residence:||ITALY|
|Section:||PHYSIOLOGY & NEUROSCIENCE|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2006-present Professor of Physiology, School of Hospital Pharmacy, University of Torino, Italy
- 2000-present Tutor, Doctorate School of Neuroscience, University of Torino, Italy
- 1986-present Full professor of General Physiology, University of Torino, Italy
- 1983-85 Associate researcher, M.P.I. for Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
- 1976-83 Associate researcher, Institute of Cybernetics & Biophysics, Camogli, Italy
- 1974-75 Research contract, Department of Physics, University of Genoa, Italy
- 1971-73 Post-doc, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
- 1971 PhD on Physics, Genoa University, Italy
Fields of Scholarship
- biophysics of voltage-gated sodium and potassium channels
- discovery of the neuronal “low-voltage activated” T-type calcium channel
- biophysics, physiology and pharmacology of voltage-gated calcium channels
- autocrine modulation of N-type and L-type calcium channels
- action of growth factors and 2nd messengers
- role of calcium channels on neurotransmitter release in adrenal chromaffin cells
- effects of stress-mimicking stimuli
- L-type (Cav1.2, Cav1.3) as pacemaker calcium channels
- new expression of voltage gated sodium and potassium channels
- interfacing excitable cells to nano-structured solid-state surfaces
Honours and Awards
- 1986-87 Visiting professor, U.N.A.M., Cuernavaca, México.
- 1986-94 Visiting professor, M.P.I. for Neurobiology, Munich, Germany.
- 1994 Visiting professor, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HW, USA.
- 1994-01 Visiting professor, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain.
- 2001-05 Director of the I.N.F.M.Research Unit, Torino, Italy.
- 2002 Appointed member, Evaluation Committee of Ramon y Cajal Programme, Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT), Madrid, Spain.
- 2004-present Member of the Scientific Council, Centre of Excellence N.I.S., Torino, Italy (http://www.nis.unito.it).
- 2006-2010 Member of the European Research training Network “CavNET” (http://www.cav-net.org), Coordinator Univ Tübingen, Germany
- 2006-present Member elected of the Academia Europaea. Section “Physiology & Medicine”.
- 2009 Visiting professor, U.N.A.M., México DF, México.