|Email:||ullrich 'at' biochem.mpg.de|
|Main Country of Residence:||GERMANY|
|Section:||CELL & DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2007–present Scientific Advisor and Program Director of the Singapore Oncogenome (SOG) Project, Institute of Medical Biology (IMB), Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*Star), Singapore
- 2007 Managing Director, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry
- 1999 Managing Director, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry
- 1988–present Director, Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany
- 1984–1988 Staff Scientist - Genentech, Inc., South San Francisco, U.S.A.
- 1979–1984 Senior Scientist - Genentech, Inc., South San Francisco, U.S.A.
- 1977–1978 Assistant Research Biochemist - University of California, San Francisco, U.S.A.
- 1975–1977 Postdoctoral Fellow - University of California, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, San Francisco, U.S.A.
- 1972–1973 Postdoctoral Fellow - University of California, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, San Francisco, U.S.A.
- 1971–1972 Assistant Biochemist - Institute of Biochemistry, University of Münster, Germany
Fields of Scholarship
- Cancer therapy
Honours and Awards
- 2010 GIST 2010 Hall of Fame Award, Life Raft Group, Wayne, NJ, USA
- 2010 Ismar-Boas-Medaille, DGVS, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2009 Emanuel-Merck-Lectureship-Award, Merck KgaA and the University of Technology, Darmstadt, Germany
- 2009 Sergio Lombroso Award in Cancer Research, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- 2009 Laurea Honoris Causa (Dr. h.c.) in Medicine and Surgery, University of Chieti, Italy
- 2009 Bundesverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- 2009 Debrecen Award for Molecular Medicine, University of Debrecen, Hungary
- 2008 Pezcoller Foundation-AACR International Award for Cancer Research, Pezcoller Foundation, Trento, Italy
- 2008 Bucher Lecture, 33rd FEBS Congress, Athens, Greece
- 2008 Hamdan Award for Medical Research Excellence, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 2007 ASMR Medal, The Australian Society for Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
- 2007 Warren Alpert Prize, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, U.S.A. (with Dennis Slamon, Michael Shepard, Robert Weinberg)
- 2007 Karl Heinz Beckurts-Preis, Karl Heinz Beckurts-Stiftung, Garching, Germany
- 2007 Prince Mahidol Award of Medicine, Prince Mahidol Foundation, Bangkok, Thailand
- 2006 Deutsche Krebshilfe Preis 2005, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) e.V., Germany
- 2005 Warburg Medal, Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (GBM), Germany
- 2005 Elected Member of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- 2005 European BioBusiness Leadership Award, USC Marshall School of Business, U.S.A.
- 2005 Clifford Prize for Cancer Research (also known as “Shiraz Prize”) awarded by the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, Australia
- 2005 EMBO “Silver Lecture”, Candiolo, Italy
- 2003 King Faisal International Prize for Medicine, King Faisal Foundation, Saudi Arabia
- 2003 Meyer-Schwickerath Lecture, Society of Medical Science, Essen, Germany
- 2003 Honorary Member of The World Innovation Foundation
- 2002 Virchow Lecture, University of Würzburg, Germany
- 2002 IJC-Meyenburg Lecture, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- 2001 Busenfreund, a prize awarded by mamazone – women and science against breast cancer e.V.
- 2001 Robert-Koch Prize of the Robert-Koch-Foundation
- 2001 International Fellow, Garvan Institute of Cancer Research, Sydney, Australia
- 2000 Honorary Professor, University of Tübingen, Germany
- 2000 Bruce F. Cain Memorial Award, American Association for Cancer Research
- 2000 Elected Member of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina
- 1999 Ludwig Heilmeyer Lecture, The International Society of Gastroenterological Carcinogenesis, Ulm
- 1998 German Cancer Prize of the German Cancer Society, Frankfurt, Germany
- 1997 Gold Medal and “XXII Lorenzini” Annual Lecture, Fondazione Giovanni Lorenzini,Medical Science Foundation, Bari, Italy
- 1996 11th Annual Ray A. and Robert L. Kroc Lecture, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, U.S.A.
- 1996 Honorary Professor - Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
- 1996-1998 Visiting Professor, Académie de Paris, Sorbonne, Paris, France
- 1991 Prix Antoine Lacassagne from La Ligue Nationale Française Contre le Cancer, Paris, France
- 1991 Member of the Academia Europaea
- 1990 Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization
- 1990 Mildred Scheel Memorial Lecture, Modern Trends in Human Leukemia Conference, Hamburg
- 1988 Berthold Medal of the German Society for Endocrinology
- 1987 Paul Langerhans Medal of the German Diabetes Society
- 1987 John W. Cline Memorial Lecturer (sponsored by the American Cancer Society), UCLA
- 1987 First Annual Ray A. and Robert L. Kroc Lecture, University of Massachusetts
- Memberships in Scientific Societies
- The American Society for Cell Biology
- Gesellschaft für Biochemie und Molekularbiologie e.V.
- American Association for Cancer Research
- International Union Against Cancer (UICC)
- Deutsche Krebsgesellschaft
- International Life Science Forum
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Elected Member of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina
- Elected Member of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences