|Email:||north 'at' uni-greifswald.de|
|Main Country of Residence:||GERMANY|
|Section:||HISTORY & ARCHAEOLOGY|
Present and Previous Positions
- 1995-current University of Greifswald: Professor and Chair of Modern History.
- 1995 University of Rostock: Visiting Professor of Regional History.
- 1994 University of Kiel: Professor of Medieval and Modern History.
- 1991 University of Bielefeld: Visiting Professor of Economic History.
- 1989-1994 University of Kiel: Privatdocent of Medieval and Modern History.
- 1982-1994 University of Kiel: Curator at the Art Gallery.
- 1980-1982 Hamburg: Assistant Curator at the Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte.
Fields of Scholarship
- European economic and cultural history
- Art markets
- Material culture
- Cultural Exchange
Honours and Awards
- 09/10-06/11 Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Modern German Studies at University of California at Santa Barbara
- 09/09-01/10 Coordinator of the Researchgroup “The Reception of Netherlandish Art in the Indian Ocean Region and East Asia, and its Impact on Asian Cultures” at the Netherlandisch Institute of Advanced Study [NIAS]] in Wassenaar (Netherlands)
- 01/09-04/09 Fellow in Residence at the Vlaams Academisch Centrum [VLAC]] in Brussels.
- 01-03/2007 Fellow-in-Residence of the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study [NIAS]] in Wassenaar (Netherlands)
- 04/06-03/07 Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy, Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-University
- 10/04-03/05 Research Fellowship German Research Council [DFG-Forschungsemester]].
- 01-03/04 Visiting Scholar at the Getty Research Institute Los Angeles
- 1999-current Member of the Scientific Committee of Istituto Internazionale di Storia Economica „Francesco Datini“ in Prato (Italy)