John D. Barrow#
|Email:||j.d.barrow 'at' damtp.cam.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2012-2015 Fellow, Gresham College
- 2012-2015 Emeritus Gresham Professor of Geometry
- 2008-2011 Gresham Professor of Geometry, Gresham College
- 2007-2010 Fellow of Gresham College
- 2003-2007 Gresham Professor of Astronomy, Gresham College, London
- 2004-2007 Vice President, Clare Hall, Cambridge
- 1999 Fellow, Clare Hall, Cambridge
- 1999 Director, Millennium Mathematics Project, University of Cambridge
- 1999 Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Dept. Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge
- 1995-1999 Director, Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex
- 1994-1999 PPARC Senior Fellow, University of Sussex
- 1992-1993 Royal Society Leverhulme Fellow, University of Sussex
- 1989-1990 Director, Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex
- 1989 Reader, Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex
- 1989-1999 Professor, Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex
- 1986-1987 Nuffield Foundation Fellow, University of Sussex
- 1981-1988 Lecturer, Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex
Fields of Scholarship
- Theories of gravitation
- Astroparticle physic
- Astronomical tests of fundamental physics
Honours and Awards
- Durham University Mathematical Prize 1973.
- Durham University Prize 1974.
- Collingwood Mathematical Prize (Durham University and London Mathematical Society) 1974.
- Johnson Memorial Prize (Oxford University) 1975.
- Wallace Research Prize (Oxford University) 1977.
- Lindemann Fellowship of the English Speaking Union of the Commonwealth 1977.
- Junior Research Lectureship, Christ Church, Oxford 1977.
- Miller Fellowship, University of California at Berkeley 1980.
- Nominated for the Bhappu Prize of the International Astronomical Union by the Council of the Royal Astronomical Society 1986/7.
- Samuel Locker Award in Astronomy 1989.
- Templeton Award 1995.
- Kelvin Medal, Royal Glasgow Philosophical Society, 1999 Wellcome Sci-art 2000 Award, 2000
- Italian Theatre Awards, Premi Ubu 2002 Prize for best play (awarded for Infinities).
- Gresham Professor of Astronomy, Gresham College, 2003-7
- Emeritus Gresham Professor of Astronomy, Gresham College, 2007-8
- Italgas Prize for Promulgation of Science 2003, (awarded for Infinities).
- Lacchini Prize and Medal of the Unione Astrofili Italiani 2005.
- Honorary Concurrent Professor of Physics, University of Nanjing, China 2005-
- Queen's Anniversary Prize 2006 (to Millennium Mathematics Project).
- Templeton Prize, Templeton Foundation 2006.
- Gresham Professor of Geometry, Gresham College 2008-11.
- Michael Faraday Medal and Prize, Royal Society 2008.
- Gresham Prize, Mercers Company and Corporation of London 2009 (also to Millennium Mathematics Project) Kelvin Medal and Prize, Institute of Physics, 2009.
- Elected Member of the Academia Europaea, 2009.
- L'Academie Internationale de Philosophie des Sciences, Titular Member, elected 2009.
- Premio Oriente Science (Prize), Colletti Foundation 2010.
- Merck-Serono Prize for Science and Literature, Merck-Serono, 2011.
- Gravity Research Foundation Research Essay 3rd prize 2011
- Christopher Zeeman Medal, London Mathematical Society and IMA, 2011
- Premio Antica Pignolo (Literary Prize), Venice 2012