Barcelona Disputatio 2015#
‘Natural vs. Artificial Intelligence’#
The Barcelona Knowledge Hub of the Academia Europaea announces the organisation of its 3rd modern-day Disputatio of Barcelona, which will be held on 9–11 December, 2015.
The Disputatio of Barcelona will take place within the framework of the Disputatio Week of 2015, which will include different scientific and social activities. This year’s topic is Natural vs. Artificial Intelligence.
December 9, 2015 (Wednesday)#
- 13.00 h – 16.00 h AE Board Meeting-1 (IEC, Puig i Cadafalch)
- 18.00 h – 20.00 h (Open to the public) Disputatio of Barcelona: Natural vs. Artificial Intelligence
Disputantes: Núria Sebastián, UPF, and Ulises Cortés, UPC.
(Royal Chapel of St. Agatha, viewing the famous Epiphany altarpiece by Jaume Huguet, 1412-1492)
- 20.00 h – 21.30 h (Open to the public) Concert of Lidia Pujol on “The Music of the Time of Ramon Llull (1232-1316)”. (Royal Chapel of St. Agatha)
December 10, 2015 (Thursday)#
- 09.00 h – 13.00 h AE Board Meeting-2 (IEC, Puig i Cadafalch)
- 13.30 h – 15.00 h Lunch offered to the AE Board&Council, members of the YAE, and the International Advisory Committee (IAC) of the BKH in the distinguished “Cercle del Liceu”. Visiting the pinacotheque and paintings by Ramon Casas (1866-1932)
- 17.00 h – 20.00 h IAC Annual Meeting (IEC, Puig i Cadafalch)
December 11, 2015 (Friday)#
- 09.00 h – 17.00 h (Open to the public) InterSection Workshop on “The panoptic vision of the world: science and humanities, or science vs. humanities?”
Venue: Institute for Catalan Studies (Nicolau d’Olwer Room) and Super Computing Centre, “Mare Nostrum”. Speakers and convenors: Convenors: Genoveva Martí, Sergiu Hart. Speakers: Anne Buttimer, Amadeu Viana, Maria Paradiso, Xavier Maymó, Raba Barkakati, Marc Mayer, Ramon Gomis, Salvador Giner.
Homage to José Mariano Gago (1948-2015): Rosalia Vargas, Ricard Guerrero, Enric Banda.
FIRST SESSION: IEC #
- 8.30 - 9.00 Documents delivery
- 9.00 - 9.15 Welcome address
- 9.15 - 10.15 In remembrance of José Mariano Gago (1948-2015)
Convenor: Rosalia Vargas, president of Ciência Viva (Agência Nacional para a Cultura Científica e Tecnológica), Portugal
Participants: Rosalia Vargas, Lisbon; Enric Banda, MAE, Barcelona; Ricard Guerrero, MAE, Barcelona
- 10.15 Convenor: Genoveva Martí
MAE. ICREA Research Professor, Dept. of Logic, History and Philosophy of Science, University of Barcelona
- 10.15 - 11.00 Inaugural Lecture: Challenges of Knowledge Integration: An International Dialogue Project
MAE. Emeritus Professor of Geography, University College of Dublin, Ireland
- 11.00 - 11.30 COFFEE BREAK
- 11.30 - 12.00 Three codes for life: Biology, language and information
Professor of Linguistics, Dept. of Catalan Philology, University of Lleida
- 12.00 - 12.30 xxxxx
MAE. Professor of Geography and Planning, Dept. of Social Sciences, University of Sannio, Italy
- 12.30 - 13.00 Mens and intelligentia in the Roman World
Marc Mayer & Víctor González Galera
University of Barcelona
- 13.00 - 15.00 LUNCH BREAK
SECOND SESSION: IEC#
- 15.00 Convenor: Sergiu Hart
MAE. Economist. Xxx, Israel
- 15.00 - 15.30 Smart cities or smart citizens: Which is the future?
Chief Technologist at the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), Washington DC, USA
- 15.30 - 16.00 From capitalism to neoliberalism: Is economy a science? Two effects on humans
CEO, FIMARGE, Andorra la Vella
- 16.00 - 16.45 Closing Lecture: An uncertain victory: The sociological intelligence
MAE. Emeritus Professor of Sociology, University of Barcelona
- 16.45 - 17.00 Conclusions and Perspectives
- 17.30 Departure by bus for the Super Computing Centre, “Mare Nostrum”,
C/ Jordi Girona, 29 (Pedralbes), UPC. (Previous registration is required.)
THIRD SESSION: The Super Computing Centre, “Mare Nostrum”#
- 18:00- 19.30 Convenor: Ulises Cortés
Visit to the Centre
“Ramon Llull, proto-European, and proto-founder of computational sciences”.
December 12, 2015 (Saturday)#
- 09.00 h – 18.00 h Visit to the cellar Vega de Ribes (Garraf), directed by winemaker Enric Bartra. For members of the IAC, and invitees. (Following the production of the new wine.)
Visit to the Roman Quarry of El Medol (Tarragona).
[Go and back by bus]