|Email:||axel.meyer 'at' uni-konstanz.de|
|Main Country of Residence:||GERMANY|
|Section:||ORGANISMIC & EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY|
Present and Previous Positions
- since 2009 Head of the Genome Center Konstanz.
- since 2009 Co-Chair of the International Max-Planck Research School in Organismal Biology.
- since 1997 Professor of Zoology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Konstanz, Germany.
- 1993 - 1997 Associate (tenured) Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York.
- 1990 - 1993 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York.
- 1988 - 1990 Alfred P. Sloan Postdoctoral Fellow in Molecular Evolution, Dept. of Biochemistry, UC-Berkeley (w/ Allan C. Wilson).
Fields of Scholarship
- Molecular phylogenetics: particular contributions to fish, amphibians, lungfish-coelacanth, amphibians, reptiles, whales)
- Speciation: work on African cichlid fish adaptive radiations, sympatric speciation in Nicaraguan crater lake cichlids
- Molecular evolution: emphasis on the evolution of gene families (Hox, hedgehog and other developmental genes)
- Comparative genomics: fish-specific genome duplication, gene-and-genome duplications
- Evo-devo: comparative work on cichlids, zebrafish, medaka
Honours and Awards
- 2012 Member of the Academia Europaea
- 2012 Rosemary and Peter Grant Lecture, University of Zurich, Switzerland
- 2012 Hector Prize 2011 of the Hector II Foundation
- 2011 Advanced Grant of the European Research Council (ERC)
- 2010 Carus Prize of the City of Schweinfurt
- 2009 Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)
- 2009 Carus Medal of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 2009 Member of the Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
- 2009 Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 2009 Berhard Rensch Lecture, University of Münster, Germany
- 2008 – 2009 Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Study (Wissenschaftskolleg) zu Berlin
- 2008 EMBO Award for Communication in the Life Sciences
- 2007 “Hot 100”authors of BioMed Central journals
- 2007 Member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2007 ISI Highly Cited – the world’s 250 most cited researchers in Plant & Animal Sciences
- 2006 Ernst Mayr Lecture - Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences, Berlin, Germany
- 2000 Akademiepreis der Berlin-Brandenburgischen Akademie der Wissenschaften
- 1996 - 1997 John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship
- 1996 – 1997 Miller Fellowship - Visiting Research Professorship, IB and MCB Departments, University of California at Berkeley
- 1990 Young Investigator Prize, American Society of Naturalists
- 1982 - 1984 Fulbright Fellowship