|Main Country of Residence:||GERMANY|
|Section:||PHILOSOPHY, THEOLOGY & RELIGIOUS STUDIES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 1993 Professor Emeritus
- 1983-1993 Chair at Frankfurt and the directorship of the Institute for Social Research
- 1971-1983 Director of the Max Planck Institute in Starnberg
- 1962 Extraordinary professor of philosophy at the University of Heidelberg
- 1961 Privatdozent in Marburg
- 1954 PhD in philosophy
Fields of Scholarship
- Social theory
- Political theory
Honours and Awards
- 1974 Hegel Prize
- 1976 Sigmund Freud Prize
- 1980 Theodor W. Adorno Award
- 1985 Geschwister-Scholl-Preis for his work, Die neue Unübersichtlichkeit.
- 1986 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize
- 1987 The Sonning Prize awarded biennially for outstanding contributions to European culture
- 1995 Karl Jaspers Prize
- 1999 Theodor Heuss Prize
- 2001 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade
- 2003 The Prince of Asturias Foundation in Social Sciences
- 2004 Kyoto Prize in Arts and Philosophy (50 million Yen)
- 2005 Holberg International Memorial Prize of the Norwegian Ludvig Holberg Memorial Fund (520,000 Euro).
- 2006 Bruno Kreisky Award
- 2008 European Prize of Political Culture (Hans Ringier Foundation) at the Locarno Film Festival (50,000 Euro).
- 2010 Ulysses Medal, University College Dublin
- 2011 Viktor Frankl Award.
- 2012 Georg-August-Zinn-Prize
- 2012 Heinrich Heine Prize
- 2012 The Munich Culture Award
- 2013 The Erasmus Prize