|Email:||pday 'at' ri.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
Present and Previous Positions
- University of London, Emeritus Professor of Chemistry 2008- .
- University College London: Visiting Professor 1991-1995; Royal Institution Professional Research Fellow 1995- .
- The Royal Institution of Great Britain: Director 1991-1998; Resident Professor of Chemistry 1991-1994; Fullerian Professor of Chemistry 1994-2008; Emeritus Fullerian Professor of Chemistry 2008-.
- British Associate Director, then Director of Institut Laue-Langevin, Grenoble, France 1988-1991.
- St. John's College, Oxford: Junior Research Fellow, 1963-1965; Official Fellow and Tutor in Inorganic Chemistry, 1965-1988.
- Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Oxford University: Departmental Demonstrator, 1965-1968; University Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry 1965-1988; Ad Hominem Professor of Solid State Chemistry 1988-1991.
Fields of Scholarship
- structures and properties of inorganic and metal-organic solids with unusual kinds of physical behaviour such as ferromagnetism and superconductivity
Honours and Awards
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry 1958; Institute of Physics 1996
- Corday Morgan Medal and Prize, Chemical Society 1971
- Senior Research Fellow, Science & Engineering Research Council 1977-1982
- Royal Society of Chemistry Award in Solid State Chemistry 1986
- Fellow of the Royal Society 1986
- Du Pont Distinguished Lecturer, Indiana University 1988
- Honorary Fellow, Wadham College, Oxford 1991; St. John's College, Oxford 1996; University College London 2003.
- Member, Academia Europaea 1992 (Treasurer 1999-2009; Trustee 2004-2009)
- Royal Society: Blackett Memorial Lecturer 1994; Bakerian Lecturer 1999
- French Academy of Sciences: Humphry Davy Lecturer 2002
- Honorary Member, Materials Research Society of India 1994
- Honorary D.Sc., University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1994; University of Kent at Canterbury 1999
- Honorary Fellow, Indian Academy of Science 1995
- Birch Lecturer, Australian National University 1997
- ACL Distinguished Lecturer, Chinese University of Hong Kong 1997
- Daiwa Adrian Prize for Anglo-Japanese Research Collaboration 1998