Hans van Ginkel#
|Email:||vanginkel 'at' unu.edu|
|Main Country of Residence:||THE NETHERLANDS|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2007- Honorary Professor Human Geography and Planning, Utrecht Univ.
- 2007- Board Chair of the Institute of Social Sciences, The Hague and of the Centre for Development Research (ZEF), Bonn
- 2007- Member Board of Trustees Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- 1997-2007 Rector of United Nations University, Tokyo and Under Secretary General of United Nations
- 1986-1997 Rector Magnificus Utrecht Univ.
- 1980-2001 (Full) Professor Human Geography, Utrecht Univ.
- 1979 Ph.D. Social Sciences, Utrecht Univ.
Fields of Scholarship
- urban planning
- public administration
- public housing
- sustainable development
Honours and Awards
- Honorary doctorate, Babes Bolyai University, Cluj, Rumania, 1996
- Honorary doctorate, (State) University of California, Sacramento, USA, 2003
- Honorary doctorate, University of Ghana, Legon-Accra, 2005
- Honorary doctorate, Technical University of Zvolen, Slovakia, 2006
- Honorary doctorate, Mc.Master University, Hamilton-Ontario, Canada, 2007
- Honorary Fellow of the International Training Centre for the Geo-information Sciences and Remote Sensing (ITC, Enschede, 2000)
- 'Knight in the Order of the Netherlands Lion', 1994
- 'Order of the Rising Sun, Grand Cordon' (Japan, 2007)
- The highest medals of honor of the City of Utrecht, and the Chamber of Commerce of Utrecht
- Honorary president of the 'International Association of Universities' (Paris).