|Email:||a.g.wilson 'at' ucl.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2007-present: Professor of Urban and Regional Systems, UCL
- 2007-present: Chairman, Arts and Humanities Research Council
- 2006-7: Master, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.
- 2004-2006: Director-General for Higher Education, Department for Education and Skills, London.
- 1991-2004: Vice-Chancellor, University of Leeds; 1989-1991: Pro-Vice-Chancellor, University of Leeds
- 1970-2004: Professor of Urban and Regiopnal Geography, University of Leeds; now Emeritus Professor; 1990- 2000, co-founder and Director, GMAP Ltd.
- 1968-1970: Assistant Director, Centrre for Environmental Studies, London.
- 1966-67, Mathematical Adviser and Head of the Mathematical Advisory Group, Ministry of Transport, London
- 1964-6: Research Officer, Institute of Economics and Statistics, University of Oxford.
- 1961-4: Scientific Officer, Theoretical Physics Group, Rutherford Laboratory.
Fields of Scholarship
- aspects of mathematical modelling
- use of models in planning in relation to all aspects of cities and regions
- applications of dynamical systems theory in relation to the task of modelling the evolution of urban structure
Honours and Awards
- 1978: Gill Memorial Award, Royal Geographical Society
- 1987: Honours Award, Association of American Geographers
- 1992: Founder’s Medal, Royal Geographical Society
- 2003: Honorary Fellow, University College London
- 2004: Honorary Fellow, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
- 2004: Laureat d’honneur, International Geographical Union
- 2004: European Prize, Regional Science Association
- 2007: Fellow of the Regional Science Association International
- 2001: Knighted for services to higher education, Queen’s Birthday Honours list
- 1991: Member, Academia Europaea
- 1994: Fellow, British Academy
- 1996: Fellow, City and Guilds of London Institute
- 2000: Academician, Academy of Learned Societies in the Social Sciences
- 2002: Chartered Geographer, Royal Geographical Society
- 2006: Fellow, Royal Society