|Email:||p.n.waugh 'at' durham.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
|Section:||LITERARY & THEATRICAL STUDIES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2005 - 2008 Head of Department of English Studies
- 1996 - present Full Professor of English Literature, University of Durham
- 1994-1996 Reader, Durham University
- 1989-1994 Lecturer, School of English, Durham University
- 1988-1989 Head of School of Humanities
- 1987-1988 Head of English
- 1983- 1999 Senior lecturer, Sunderland Polytechnic
- 1980- 1983 Lecturer, Sunderland Polytechnic
Fields of Scholarship
- Critical theory
- Twentieth-century studies
- Aesthetics and literary theory
- Literature and psychoanalysis
- Literature in its social and political contexts 1960-1990
- Modernist and postmodernist writing
- Utopianism and dystopianism
- Women's writing in the twentieth century
- Medical Humanities/literature, science and medicine especially cognitive studies and literature
Honours and Awards
- 1977 B.A. Hons. English literature and language, First class, University of Birmingham (awarded both undergraduate prizes for the best degree performance in English and the Arts Faculty).
- 1992 elected Founding Fellow of the English Association
- 1996 Awarded AHRC research fellowship
- 2008 Member of RAE2008 panel of the REF panel for 2014. Member of the AHRC advisory board for Science in Culture and assessor for the first round of awards.
- 2009 Visiting fellow in Literary Theory at University of Santiago
- 2012 Assessor and advisor to the Yale Literature Prize 2013, which was set up in 2012 and awards 4 prizes totaling $1 million to new and established writers.
- 2010 - 2015 Holder of PI Leverhulme project on Tipping Points (1.7 milllion); current Co-1 on Wellcome £1 million funded project on Hearing the Voice;
- 2014 delivered the Inaugural British Academy Annual Novel lecture
- 2015 AHRC Network grant on Memory £45,000.
- 2015 Organiser of a series of workshops on ‘Thinking with Feeling’ which led to the setting up of a multi-disciplinary research group on ‘Hearing Voices’ (currently in receipt of a major strategic award as co-investigator with the Wellcome Trust of £1m and with a further 5 year collaborator award to begin in February 2015 of £4m).