|Email:||vanhoutte.hku 'at' hku.hk|
|Main Country of Residence:||CHINA|
|Section:||PHYSIOLOGY & NEUROSCIENCE|
Present and Previous Positions
- Head, Department of Pharmacology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China, 2006-present.
- Director, BioPharmaceutical Development Centre, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China, 2003-present.
- Vice-President Research and Development, Institut de Recherches Internationales Servier, Courbevoie, France, 1992-2002.
- Director, Center for Experimental Therapeutics, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1989-1995.
- Consultant, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, and Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, 1981-1989.
- Head, Laboratory of Pharmacology, Division of Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Universitaire Instelling Antwerpen, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Belgium, 1975-1981.
- Head, Laboratory of Pathophysiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Universitaire Instelling Antwerpen, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Belgium, 1973-1975.
- Research Associate, Department of Physiology and Biophysics (Chairman: Dr. J.T. Shepherd), Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, 1972-1973.
- First Assistant, Laboratory for Normal and Pathological Physiology (Director: Dr. I. Leusen), State University of Gent, Belgium, 1969-1971.
Fields of Scholarship
- appreciation and analysis of the importance of endothelial cells in the control of the underlying vascular smooth muscle in health and disease, and highlighting of the complexity of that regulation
Honours and Awards
- First Laureate, Interuniversity Competition of the Belgian Government (Universitaire Wedstrijd); Group: Physiological Sciences, Brussels, Belgium, 1963-1964.
- Special prize, State University of Gent, Belgium, 1965.
- First Laureate, Travel Grant Competition of the Belgian Government (Wedstrijd voor Reisbeurzen); Group: Pathological Sciences, Brussels, Belgium, 1965.
- First Place, Young Investigators' Competition, The American College of Cardiology, San Francisco, California, 1973.
- Assubel Prize, Brussels, Belgium, 1979.
- Award for Outstanding Research, International Society for Heart Research, 1984-1985.
- Gold Medal of the City of Paris, 1986.
- John Vane Lecture and Medal, 2003. The British Pharamacological Society.
- Carl J. Wiggers Award, American Society of Physiology, 2006.
- ‘Officer of the Crown Order’ awarded by the Belgium government, 2006.
- Honorary Fellow of the British Pharmacological Society, 2006.
- Honorary Fellow, Academie Royale de Medecine de Belgique, 2006.
- Mayo Clinic Distinguished Alumni Award, Mayo Clinic, 2007.
- Paul M. Vanhoutte Distinguished Lectureship in Vascular Pharmacology, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 2008.
- Governor for Hong Kong, International Society of Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, 2008.
- Honorary Memberships: The Physiological Society (London), Indian Academy of Neurosciences, Chinese Pharmacological Society, Collège Français de Pathologie Vasculaire, German Society of Angiology, Société Française de Cardiologie, International Union of Angiology
- Doctor Honoris Causa degree of the University of Gent (Belgium) in 2001, from the Universities of Antwerp (Belgium), Montreal (Canada) and Zurich (Switzerland) in 2003, from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (Australia) in 2005, from the University Louis Pasteur in Strasbourg (France) in 2006 and from the Gr. T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Iasi (Romania) in 2009