|Email:||thanos 'at' bioacademy.gr|
|Main Country of Residence:||GREECE|
|Section:||BIOCHEMISTRY & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY|
Present and Previous Positions
- 3/2006-present: Director of Basic Research and Chairman of the Scientific Board, Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens, Greece
- 9/2003-2/2006: Director, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Biomedical Sciences Research Center “Al. Fleming”, Athens, Greece
- 9/2003-present: Adjunct Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, NEW YORK, USA
- 7/2000-8/2003: Associate Professor with tenure, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University, NEW YORK, USA
- 1/1995-6/2000: Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University, NEW YORK, USA
- 6/1989-12/1994: Research as Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Harvard University, laboratory of Dr. Tom Maniatis, on the transcriptional regulation of the human IFN-b gene.
- 4/1988-5/1989: Research as Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Foundation for Research and Technology on the mechanisms controlling expression of MHC class II genes
- 9/1983-3/1988: Research for Ph.D thesis in Dr. J. Papamatheakis lab, University of Crete, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Foundation for Research and Technology, on mechanisms regulating expression of mouse MHC class II genes
- 5/1981-7/1983: Research for predoctoral thesis in Prof. Loucas Margaritis laboratory, Department of Biology, University of Athens, on choriogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster
Fields of Scholarship
- Regulation of gene expression
- Structure, function and relationship of enhancers and promoters
- Transcription factor relationships and interactions
- Chromatin structure and epigenetic modifications
- Gene regulatory networks
Honours and Awards
- Undergraduate Thesis Award (1983). University of Athens.
- Special Graduate Studies Fellow Award. University of Crete (1984)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Award from the Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust, 1992-1994. Harvard Univ.
- Irma T. Hirschl Career Scientist Award, 1996-2001
- March of Dimes-Basil O’Connor Starter Research Scholar Award, 1996-1998.
- Pew Scholars Award in Biomedical Sciences 1996-2001.
- Scholar of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of America 2000-2005.
- Christopher Lambort Award in Basic Sciences (2001).
- Dean’s Distinguished Award in Basic Sciences (2003).
- European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) Elect Member (2004)
- National Representative in European Union for Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) (2006-)
- Life Sciences Panel Member of the European Research Council (2007-present)
- Elected Member in the Federation European Biochemical Society (FEBS) Publication Committee (2010)
- Elected Council Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (2010)
- Steering Committee Member of the ISBE (Institutes of Systems Biology Europe) Research Infrastructures (2011)
- Member of the Scientific Review Board, US Department of Energy-Systems Biology (2011)
- Chair of the Scientific Reviewing Board of Max Delbruck-Centrum Fur Molekulare Medizin Berlin-Systems Biology (2009-present)
- Excellence Science Award from the Greek Secreteriat for Research and Technology, Ministry of Education and Life long Learning (2012)