|Email:||nils.roll-hansen 'at' ifikk.uio.no|
|Main Country of Residence:||NORWAY|
|Section:||PHILOSOPHY, THEOLOGY & RELIGIOUS STUDIES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2007- Professor Emeritus, University of Oslo
- 1994-2007 Full professor in history and philosophy of science, Department of philosophy/ Department of philosophy, classics, history of art and ideas at University of Oslo
- 1985-1993 Professor II in history and philosophy of science at University of Oslo
- 1977-93 Senior researcher Nordic Institute for Studies of Innovation, Research and Education (NIFU)
- 1976-77 Professor in the theory of natural sciences
- 1964-1976 Teaching and administrative appointments, research fellowships, etc at the University of Oslo.
- 1962-64 Graduate student in plant biochemistry with Professor Andy Benson at UCLA and UCSD
Fields of Scholarship
- Philosophy of Science
- History and philosophy of biology, 19th and 20th century, in particular
- History of genetics with emphasis on the formation of classical genetics
- Environmental science and politics, e.g., acid rain and forest death
- Reductionism in biology
- Interaction of science and politics, e.g., Eugenics, and Lysenkoism in the Soviet Union
- Science policy
Honours and Awards
- Member of The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (Det Norske Videnskaps-Akademi) since 1993.
- Chair of Academy’s Committee on climate research 2009-2011.
- Member of the Editorial Board of several central journals.
- Member of several university, governmental and international committees. Chair of several of these.