G. David Price#
|Email:||d.price 'at' ucl.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
|Section:||EARTH & COSMIC SCIENCES|
Present and Previous Positions
- Oct 2007- Vice-Provost for Research, UCL
- Sept 2006 – Sept 2007. Executive Dean, Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, UCL
- June 2004 – Sept 2005. Head of Department, Dept Earth Sciences, UCL and Director of the UCL/Birkbeck Research School of Earth Sciences
- Sept 2003 – Sept 2006. Vice Dean (Research), Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, UCL
- Sept 1992 – Sept 2002. Head of Department, Dept Geological Sciences, UCL and Director of the UCL/Birkbeck Research School of Geological and Geophysical Sciences
- Jan 1991 - Professor of Mineral Physics (tenable jointly at University College London and Birkbeck College from 1991 until Sept 2006)
- Oct 1987 – 90. University of London Reader in Mineral Physics, tenable jointly at University College London and Birkbeck College
- Sept 1983 - 87. Royal Society 1983 University Research Fellow in the Department of Geological Sciences, University College London
- Sept 1981 - 83. Natural Environment Research Council Research Fellow, working in the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge
- Sept 1980 - Aug 1981. Research Associate at the Department of the Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago, working with Prof. J.V. Smith, F.R.S.
- Aug 1980. Doctor of Philosophy, University of Cambridge
Fields of Scholarship
- mineral physics
- ab Initio Molecular Dynamics
- computational simulation
Honours and Awards
- 2006 Awarded the Louis Néel Medal of the European Geosciences Union for “establishing the importance of computational mineral physics in Earth sciences and for outstanding contributions to the physics of the Earth's core."
- 2005 Elected Fellow of the American Geophysical Union.
- 2002 Awarded the Murchison Medal of the Geological Society of London.
- 2000 Elected Member of the Academia Europaea.
- 1999 Awarded the Schlumberger Medal of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1997- 98 Awarded a Leverhulme Research Fellowship
- 1997 Elected a Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America in recognition of significant contributions to the fields of mineralogy, petrology and crystallography.