|Email:||oran 'at' politics.ankara.edu.tr|
|Main Country of Residence:||TURKEY|
|Section:||HISTORY & ARCHAEOLOGY|
Present and Previous Positions
- Since September 2006: Professor emeritus, Faculty of Political Science (FPS), Ankara University.
- Since February 2000: Columnist, Agos (Armenian weekly newspaper, Istanbul).
- Since April 2007: Columnist, Radikal (daily newspaper, Istanbul).
- October-December 2006: South East European Studies at Oxford (SEESOX), Visiting Fellow, Programme on Contemporary Turkey.
- 1998--2006: Professor and head of International Relations chair at the FPS.
- 1999-2009: National Liaison Officer to ECRI, Council of Europe.
- 1999-2006: Commentator, SBS Radio, Australia.
- Since 2001: Member of Prime Ministry's Consultative Council on Human Rights, Chairman of Cultural and Minority Rights Committee. (This Council is de facto defunct as it was no more convened since the publication of my "Cultural and Minority Rights Report" in October 2004).
- 1990-2006: Professor of international relations at FPS.
- 1969-1982: Assistant Professor at FPS.
Fields of Scholarship
- Nationalism: especially in Turkey and in Black Africa
- Minorities: world minorities, and especially minorities in Turkey, and Turkish minorities abroad
- Identity and nationality: supra identity and infra identities
- Religion-State relations: secularism and laicism, especially in Turkey and France
- Turkish foreign policy: From 1919 to our day
Honours and Awards
- 2007: Human Rights Association, Ayse Nur Zarakolu Award for Freedom of Thought and Expression.
- 2006: Political Science Students' Society Special Award.
- 2002: Political Science Students' Society Best Foreign Policy Commentator Award