|Email:||bernard.meunier 'at' academie-sciences.fr|
|Main Country of Residence:||FRANCE|
Present and Previous Positions
- Emeritus Director of Research (“classe exceptionnelle”). Laboratoire de Chimie de Coordination du CNRS, Toulouse, France
- Sept 2012 - Aug 2017 Distinguished Professor, Chemistry Dept, Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
- 2014-2015 Professor at "Collège de France", Paris, Chair of Technological Innovation Liliane Bettencourt
- February 2006 - January 2011 President-CEO of PALUMED Company, France
- October 2004 – January 2006 President of the CNRS “Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique”, France
- Permanent position at the CNRS from January 1973 to January 2006 and again from February 2011, successively as “Attaché, Chargé
- Maître, Directeur and Directeur classe exceptionnelle”, Toulouse, France
- 1993 - 2006 Associate-Professor at the Chemistry Department of “École Polytechnique”, Palaiseau, France
- 1970 -1972 Assistant-Professor at the University of Montpellier, France
Fields of Scholarship
- Catalytic oxidations (epoxidation and hydroxylation), catalytic oxidation of pollutants, chemistry of metalloporphyrins, modelling of heme-containing enzymes (cytochrome P450, peroxidases, catalase, chloroperoxidase), non-heme oxidation catalysts
- Oxidative DNA cleavage (artificial endonucleases)
- Mechanism of action of ellipticine, bleomycin and isoniazid
- Design and development of hybrid trioxane-containing molecules (trioxaquines®) as antimalarials
- Design and development of trioxaquines as anti-schistosomiasis drugs
- Design and development of new copper-specific chelating agents as potential therapeutic agents for Alzheimer’s disease
Honours and Awards
- National level
- Silver Medal of the CNRS (1991)
- Prize of the Coordination Chemistry Division of the French Chemical Society (1994)
- Prize Clavel-Lespieau of the French Academy of Sciences (1997)
- Berthelot Medal of the French Academy of Sciences (1997)
- Member of the French Academy of Sciences (1999).
- President of the French National Center for Scientific Research, CNRS (2004-2006).
- Knight in the Order of Legion of Honour (2006)
- Prize Le Bel of the French Chemical Society (2007)
- Vice-President of the French Academy of Sciences (2013-2014).
- Member of the French National Academy of Pharmacy (2013).
- Officer in the Order of Legion of Honour (2015).
- Chair for Innovation at the Collège de France (2014-2015)
- European level
- Prize Descartes-Huygens of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences (2001), The Netherlands
- Prize A. von Humboldt-Gay Lussac (2002), Germany & France
- Foreign Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences (2005), Poland
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2014), UK