|Email:||nmakris 'at' upatras.gr|
|Main Country of Residence:||GREECE|
|Section:||PHYSICS & ENGINEERING SCIENCES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2003-present Professor, University of Patras
- 2002-2005 Professor, University of California at Berkeley
- 1998-2002 Associate Professor, University of California at Berkeley
- 1996-1998 Assistant Professor, University of California at Berkeley
- 1992-1996 Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- 1992 Senior Research Scientist, State University of New York at Buffalo
Fields of Scholarship
Structural Engineering and Applied Mechanics-Dynamics:
Viscoelasticity, Rheological Models, Fractional Calculus, Nonlinear Dynamics, Time-Frequency Analysis
Seismic Isolation, Rocking and Hysteretic Systems, Experimental Methods, Bridges, Soil-Structure-Interaction
Honours and Awards
- Member of the Academia Europaea “The Academy of Europe”.
- The Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize from the American Society of Civil Engineers, for his research on developing and characterizing energy dissipation devices and clarifying the role of damping for seismic protection of structures, May 2001.
- The Shah Family Innovation Prize from the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, February 1999.
- The T.K. Hsieh Award from the Institution of Civil Engineers, London, U.K., for the best paper published by the Institution in the field of Structural and Soil Vibration, November 1997.
- The Henry Pusey Award from the Program Committee for the 67th Shock and Vibration Symposium (best paper out of 151 papers presented), 1997.
- NSF CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation, USA, July 1996.
- Fellowship from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) under the JSPS Invitation Fellowship Program for Research in Japan, Spring 1996.
- Scholarship for excellent academic performance, Institute of State Scholarships, Greece, 1984-1988.