|Email:||mliver 'at' mclink.it|
|Main Country of Residence:||ITALY|
|Section:||HISTORY & ARCHAEOLOGY|
Present and Previous Positions
- Associate professor, History of the Ancient Near East, University of Rome “La Sapienza” 1.XI.1963 to 31.X.1973.
- Full professor, History of the Ancient Near East, University of Roma “La Sapienza”, 1.XI.1973 up to now (will retire on 1.XI,2010).
Fields of Scholarship
- History of the Near East in pre-classical times (esp. Urban Revolution, Syria in Late Bronze Age, Assyrian Empire, Ancient Israel)
- History of the Sahara in proto-historical times
- Archaeological field work in Turkey (esp. Arslantepe)
- Archaeological field work in Syria (Ebla, Tell ‘Ashara, Tell Mozan)
- Archaeological field work in Libya (Akakus in Garamantian times)
Honours and Awards
- Doctor honoris causa, University of Copenhagen and Universidad Autonoma Madrid.
- Honorary member of the American Oriental Society
- Member of the Academia Europaea (Oxford), of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (Roma), of the Accademia delle Scienze (Torino).