|Email:||jkats 'at' central.ntua.gr|
|Main Country of Residence:||GREECE|
|Section:||PHYSICS & ENGINEERING SCIENCES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2004 - present: Graduate Professor (Emeritus) , School of Civil Eng., National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
- 1982 - 2004 Lecturer, Assist. Professor, Associate Professor and Professor, School of Civil Eng., (NTUA), Greece
- 1970 - 1982 Teaching Assistant and Senior Instructor, School of Civil Eng., NTUA, Greece
- 1976 - 2008 Professor of Structural Analysis at the School of Officers of the Corps of Engineers of the Hellenic Army, Greece
- 1988 - 1990 & 1993-1995 Head of the the Department of Structural Engineering NTUA.
- 1984 - 2004 Director of the Institute of Structural Analysis and Aseismic Research of NTUA
- 1989 - 1992 Director of the Earthquake Planning and Protection Organization of Greece.
- 1989 - 1992 Director of European Center on Prevention and Forecasting of Earthquake (ECPFE) of the Council of Europe.
- 1989 - 1992 Permanent Correspondent of Greece in the Open Partial Agreement for Major Disasters of the Council of Europe
Fields of Scholarship
- Structural Analysis and Applied Mechanics:
- Computational Mechanics, Boundary Elements and Meshless Methods
- Linear and Nonlinear Analysis of Structures (beams, plates, shells, membranes, cables) under static and dynamic loads.
- Plates with variable thickness, plates on elastic foundation, plates reinforced with beams
- Stability of structures (beams, plates and shells).
- Response of structures under nonconservative loads.-. Linear and nonlinear flutter instability
- Inverse problems
- System identification
- Numerical solution of ordinary and partial fractional differential equations. Application to engineering problems
- Linear and nonlinear analysis of viscoelastic plates and membranes modeled with multi-term fractional derivative models.
- Thickness optimization of beams and plates under conservative and nonconservative loads.
Honours and Awards
- 2011 Honorary member of the Polish Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
- 2010 Member of the European Academy of Sciences (EAS), Liege
- 2010 Member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts (EASE), Salzburg
- 2010 Corresponding Member of the International Academy of Engineering (Meждународня Инженерная Академия), Moscow
- 2010 Recent Developments in Boundary Element Methods: A Volume to Honour John T. Katsikadelis, WITpress, 2100, U.K. on the occasion of his 72 birthday
- 2009 Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctor) of the University of Nis, Serbia
- 2009 (February): Award Plaque Honoris Causa by the General Staff of the Greek Army for his contribution as a professor to the School of the Corps of Engineers
- 2009 (November): Award Plaque Honoris Causa of the Greek Army on the 180th Anniversary Commemoration of the establishment of the Corps of Engineers
- 2007 Honorary member of the Serbian Society of Mechanics
- 2007- 2010 President of the Hellenic Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (HSTAM), affiliated to IUTAM
- 1997-2000 President of the Greek Association for Computational Mechanics (GRACM), affiliated to IACM (twice elected)
- 2005-present Secretary General of the Office of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of the Academy of Athens, Greece
- 2005- 2009 Member of the General Council of the International Association for Computational Mechanics (IACM).
- 2007-present Member of the General Assembly of IUTAM and Representative of HSTAM in IUTAM
- 2000-present Fellow of the Wessex Institute, UK (for “his outstanding contribution to the development of the Boundary Elements”).
- 1986 Award Plaque Honoris Causa by the General Staff of the Greek Army