|Email:||bhaq 'at' inbox.com|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED STATES|
|Section:||EARTH & COSMIC SCIENCES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2015 - onwards: Research Associate, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, USA
- 2011 - onwards: Associated (Adjunct) Research Professor, Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France
- 2011 - 2015: Honorary Professor, University College London, UK
- 1988 - 2015: Director for Marine Geosciences Programmes, National Science Foundation, Washington DC
- 2007: Visiting Professor, Institut Français de Recherché pour l’Exploitation de la Mer, (Host Prof. Serge Berné), Brest, France
- 2005 - 2006: Visiting Professor, University of Cambridge, Godwin Laboratory (Host Sir Nicolas Shackleton), Cambridge, UK
- 1996 - 1997: Visiting Professor, Oxford University, Department of Earth Sciences (Host Prof. Tony Watts), Oxford, UK
- 1996 - onwards: Honorary Professor, Tongji University Center of Excellence in Marine Geology, Shanghai, China
- 1993: Advisor to the Environment Department, the World Bank, Washington, DC
- 1992: Scientific Expert, the White House, Executive Office of the President of USA, Office of the Management and Budget.
- 1990 - 1991: Visiting Scientist, Danish Geological Survey, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1982 - 1988: Senior Research Scientist Exxon Production Research Company, Houston, Texas
- 1968 - 1982: Research Scientist in Marine Geology, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Massachusetts
- 1965 - 1968: Research Scholar, First Amanuens, Docent, University of Stockholm; 1968-1978: Oavlonad Docent
- 1964 - 1965: Research Scholar, Geologische Bundesanstalt (Geological Survey of Austria) Vienna, Austria.
Fields of Scholarship
- Global sea-level change of the Phanerozoic (some of the most widely cited papers in Geosciences in Paleozoic, Mesozoic and Cenozoic Eustasy)
- Global Climate Change and Sea-Level in the future (especially as it affects coastal communities and their economies - author of a World Bank Report and a ICZM Volume used widely in maritime countries for coastal zone management)
- Seismic, Sequence and Global Stratigraphy (stratigraphy of the continental margins, stable-isotopic stratigraphy, magnetostratigraphy and radiochronology)
- Past Climates in the Mesozoic and Cenozoic Periods
- Paleoceanography, Paleoenvironments and Paleobiogeography of Atlantic, Indian, Pacific and Southern Oceans
- Natural Gas hydrates, including their coastal hazards and resource potential and their role in climate change)
- Geological History of the Mediterranean Sea, Northern Arabian Sea, Eastern Indian Ocean (offshore Australia)
- Innovative techniques in hydrocarbon exploration, especially in stratigraphic traps
Honours and Awards
- Honored by peers by naming of a fossil Genus and a fossil Species (Haqius circumradiatus Roth and Reticulofenetra haqii Backman)
- 2013 Conferred Docteur Honoris Causa, by Sorbonne/ Université Pierre et Marine Curie, Paris France 2010: Conferred Honorary Professorship & appointed Advisor to the Institute of Marine Research, Qindgao, China
- 2009 Conferred Honorary Professorship by Institute of Oceanology, Academia Sinica, Qingdao, China
- 2004 Conferred the Ocean Sciences Award by the American Geophysical Union.
- 2001 Public Forum Lecture, VII International Conference on Paleoceanography, Sapporo, Japan
- 1999 Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science,
- 1999 Conferred National Science Foundation’s Antarctic Service Medal.
- 1999 Keynote Address at European Union of Geosciences, 10th Biennial Meeting, Strasbourg, France
- 1998 Horizons of Knowledge Lecture at University of Indiana, Bloomington, Indiana,
- 1998 Conferred the Francis P. Shepard Medal for “Excellence in Marine Geology” by the Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM).
- 1998 Keynote Address, XIII Biennial of Spanish Royal Society for Natural History, Vigo, Spain.
- 1996 Conferred Honorary Professorship, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- 1996 Keynote Address International Symposium on Gas Hydrates, Gent, Belgium
- 1996 Inaugural Address, International Symposium on Marine Geology and Geophysics of the Indian Ocean, Goa, India.
- 1995 Keynote Address at III Conference on Asian Marine Geology, Cheju, South Korea, 1995.
- 1994 Conferred the “Killam Chair in Ocean Sciences” at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.
- 1994 Keynote Address, Linnean Society London, Conference on Indus River: Biodiversity, Resources and Humankind, London
- 1991 L.J. Wilbert Lecture at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1991.
- 1988 - 1989 Distinguished Lecturer, American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- 1976 Elected Fellow, Geological Society of America.