|Email:||freund 'at' koki.hu|
|Main Country of Residence:||HUNGARY|
|Section:||PHYSIOLOGY & NEUROSCIENCE|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2002 to date: Director, IEM HAS, Budapest, Hungary
- 2000 to date: Head of Dept. of Neurosci., Péter Pázmány Catholic University, Budapest, Hungary
- 1990 to date: Head of Dept., Dept. of Functional Neuroanatomy, IEM HAS, Budapest, Hungary
- 1986-1988: Senior Research Fellow of Neuropharmacology at the MRC Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, Dept. of Pharmacology, Oxford University, UK
- 1986-1989: Research Fellow of the HAS, 1st Dept. of Anatomy, Semmelweis University Medical School, Budapest, Hungary
- 1983-1986: Junior Research Fellow of the HAS, 1st Depart. of Anatomy, Semmelweis University Medical School, Budapest, Hungary
Fields of Scholarship
- synaptic and molecular organization of brain areas
- functional architecture
- neuronal circuits
- endocannabinoid signaling
- cerebral cortex
Honours and Awards
- 1991 Winner of the Drs. C. and F. Demuth Swiss Medical Research Foundation Award, Switzerland.
- 1991 Winner of the KRIEG CORTICAL KUDOS Cortical Explorer Award of the Cajal Club, U.S.A.
- 1997 Academy Award, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- 1998 Winner of the KRIEG CORTICAL KUDOS Cortical Discoverer Award and the Cajal Medal of the Cajal Club, U.S.A.
- 1998 Dargut and Milena Kemali Foundation Award, FENS Forum, Berlin.
- 2000 Bolyai Prize, Bolyai Prize Foundation, Hungary.
- 2000 Member of Academia Europaea
- 2000 Member of Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europaea
- 2001 Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 2005 Széchenyi Prize, Hungarian Republic
- 2007 Semmelweis Award, Semmelweis Medical School, Budapest
- 2007 Scientists of the Year, Award of Science Writers Club of Hungary.
- 2009 Pro Doctorandis Díj (Federation of Doctoral Students of Hungary)