|Email:||ernesto.estrada 'at' strath.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2014 Director, Institute of Complex Systems at Strathclyde, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- 2013 Visiting Professor and Fellow, Institute of Quantitative Methods and Theory (QuanTM), Emory University, Atlanta, USA
- 2012 Visiting Research Fellow of the Centre of Research in Mathematics (CIMAT), Guanajuato, Mexico
- 2008 Full Professor and Chair in Complexity Sciences, Department of Mathematics, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- 2008 Visiting Research Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, Japan
- 2003 - 2008 “Ramón y Cajal” Researcher in Complex Systems, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- 2002 - 2003 Research Scientist of Computational Chemistry, Safety & Environmental Assurance Centre (SEAC), Unilever, U.K.
- 2001 - 2002 Research Associate. Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- 1999 - 2000 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Institute for Computational Quantum Chemistry, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Physical Chemistry, University of Valencia, Spain
Fields of Scholarship
- Mathematical physics
- Complex networks
- Statistical physics
- Spectral graph theory
- Mathematical chemistry
- Protein structure and folding
Honours and Awards
- 2014 Member of the Academia Europaea
- 2014 Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award for respected scientists of outstanding achievement and potential to the UK.
- 2013 The Strathclyde Teaching Excellence Awards in recognition of teaching excellence
- 2012 Plenary Speaker at the 2012 SIAM Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, USA, 9-13 July, the most important conference of applied mathematics in the World
- 2011 Visiting Research Fellowship of the Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences (SAMSI), North Carolina, USA, March-April
- 2008 "Ramon y Cajal" Fellowship by the Spanish Government to outstanding young researchers in Spain
- 2008 Fellowship of the Royal Society of Edinburgh International Exchange Programme and the Edinburgh Mathematical Society for a lecturing tour through Scottish Universities (Strathclyde, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Maxwell Institute and Dundee)
- 2007 Award “Outstanding Scientist” given by the International Academy of Mathematical Chemistry (IAMC). This award has been given only to two scientists since the foundation of the IAMC
- 2005 Elected as Full Member of the “International Academy of Mathematical Chemistry”
- 2002 Fellowship of the Spanish Government for "Outstanding Foreign Young Researchers and Technologists in Spain". It was the only one awarded to the Autonomic Community of Galicia, which has 3 major universities
- 2000 World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Gold Medal for the Patent EP0678516 "Preparation of 2-bromo-5-(2-bromo-2-nitrovinyl)-furan and its use as microcide"
- 1998 National Prize of the Cuban Academy of Science, Section of Natural Science, La Habana, Cuba