|Email:||salim.ciraci 'at' gmail.com|
|Main Country of Residence:||TURKEY|
|Section:||PHYSICS & ENGINEERING SCIENCES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2006 - present Founding Director of UNAM - National Nanotechnology Research Center and Institute of Materials Science and Nanotechnology, Bilkent University
- 2006 - present Founding Chairperson of the Graduate Program on Materials Science and Nanotechnology, Bilkent University
- 1994 - present Founding Director of BICAS - Bilkent International Center for Advanced Studies, Bilkent University
- 2000 - 2001 Adjunct Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
- 1991 - 1995 Founding Dean of Faculty of Science of Bilkent University.
- 1986 - 1991 Founding Chairman of the Department of Physics and Professor of Physics of Bilkent University.
- 1982 - 1983 Kernforschungsanlage, Juelich/Germany
- 1980 - 1985 Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Middle East Technical University
- 1974 - 1977 IBM San Jose Research Laboratory, USA. Later as associate until 1990
- 1969 - 1974 Stanford University, Graduate Student, Research Assistant, Post Doc.
Fields of Scholarship
- Surface-Interface Physics
- Electronic Structure of Metals and Semiconductors
- Condensed Systems of Lower Dimensionality-Quantum Size Effect
- Semiconductor Heterostructures
- Theory of Scanning Tunneling and Atomic Force Microscopy
- Quantized Electric and Heat Conductance.
- Nanoscience: Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene and Graphene Derivatives
- Nanotribology-Superlow Friction
- New Materials with Honeycomb structures: Silicene, Germanene and MX2
- Energy: High Capacity Hydrogen Storage-Supercapacitors
Honours and Awards
- 1994 Full Member, Academy of Science of Turkey (TUBA)
- 1993 Outstanding Achievement Awards of Bilkent University Foundation
- 1985 Science Prize of Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
- 1978 Sedat Simavi Foundation Science Award