|Email:||ros.ballaster 'at' mansfield.ox.ac.uk|
|Main Country of Residence:||UNITED KINGDOM|
|Section:||LITERARY & THEATRICAL STUDIES|
Present and Previous Positions
- 2009 - present Professor of Eighteenth-Century Studies, Faculty of English, Oxford University and Professorial Fellow in English, Mansfield College
- 1995 - 2009 College and University Fellowship and lecturer in English Literature, Mansfield College, Oxford University
- 1993 - 1995 Special Non CUF lecturer in English, Mansfield College, Oxford University
- 1989 - 1993 Lecturer in English Literature, School of English and American Studies, University of East Anglia
- 1988 - 1998 Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Visiting Fellow to Department of English and American Literature
Fields of Scholarship
- Eighteenth-century novel
- Georgian theatre
- Women’s writing of the eighteenth century
- Oriental fiction of the eighteenth century
- Feminist criticism
- Popular and mass cultural forms (romance fiction, soap opera, women’s magazines)
Honours and Awards
- 2006 British Academy Rose Mary Crawshay prize from British Academy for Fabulous Orients: Fictions of the East in England 1660-1785.
- 2003-6 Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship
- 2006 Judge for Clifford Prize awarded by American Society of Eighteenth-Century Studies for best essay in a refereed journal in the field.
- 2006 British Academy Rose Mary Crawshay prize from British Academy for Fabulous Orients: Fictions of the East in England 1660-1785. For a work on English literature by a woman written in English of the last three years.
- 2007 Award for teaching excellence from Humanities Division, Oxford University for successful planning and introduction of new courses and successful innovations in teaching and outstandingly successful DPhil supervision
- 2007 Appointed as Peer Review College Member of the Arts and Humanities Research Council on nomination of English Association